The Curse Of Robert The Doll

I snapped a photo of Robert The Doll before reading that he puts curses on anyone who takes his photograph. Uh oh. Surely it’s just a myth, I thought. Curious, I began reading about the doll’s history. In 1903, Robert was given to four-year old Gene Otto, who lived in Key West. As Gene grew up he blamed everything bad that happened on the doll. By the time Gene was married, Robert had taken the blame for a lifetime of lies, misdeeds, and mischief.

robert_the-doll
Robert The Doll is on display at the East Martello Museum and Fort in Key West

Some say Robert’s face had begun to change by the time Gene died in 1974, that his eyes grew more expressive. People insisted that the doll moved around and could be heard giggling behind their backs. Many who came in contact with Robert experienced bad luck, as if the doll was getting even for all the years he had been made a scapegoat. The curse of Robert The Doll grew into such a well-known legend in Key West that whenever things went wrong, locals would simply shrug and say, “Blame it on Robert.” But Robert’s real fame came when the “Chucky” horror film series (Child’s Play, Child’s Play 2, Child’s Play 3, Bride of Chucky, Seed of Chucky, etc.) came out, as they were said to have been modeled on the real-life story of Robert the Doll.

There are many theories about why Robert behaves the way he does. Some believe it is an ancient curse. Others say it is voodoo. Still others insist that Gene Otto’s ghost has returned to the doll whom he loved so much. The museum cats seem to believe in Robert’s dark powers – they keep their distance when staring up at the glass case in East Martello Museum where Robert is enthroned. People, on the other hand, tend to doubt the legend, and have suffered the consequences. Letters scattered at Robert’s feet and tacked up on an adjacent wall are testimonials from dozens of unbelievers who were cursed by Robert The Doll, such as this one:

Since our visit to the museum, we’ve been under a dark cloud.

I began to develop a rather severe toothache. Two days later, Hurricane Charly cut our vacation short and we joined the parade of evacuees leaving the islands. We were evacuated from our vacation spot three days early with my mouth in tremendous pain. My sister-in-law was also having female health issues. We were all forced to make alternate travel arrangements on the run.

My sister-in-law lives in Clearwater. After a problem laden and horrendous trip, she finally got home, only to be evacuated from there too. She packed up her two cats and headed for her parents house in Winter Haven and ended up in the middle of the storm there. They lost power for two days.

When we arrived in Miami for our flight back to Indianapolis, the plane broke and they had to “find” a different one for us. The following day, back in Indiana, I went to the dentist to learn that my tooth had abscessed and I had to have a root canal.

Last night we had a huge thunderstorm. Our house was hit by lightning – not once, but TWICE! We were unplugging things, but not fast enough. We lost three TV’s and a large satellite dish. The first hit, which sounded like a gunshot in the house, took one large TV and the satellite dish, and the second hit got two more TV’s. Again, the sound was horribly frightening.

Please do me a favor and tell Robert that we did not mean to anger or offend him and we’re sorry if we did. His photo did turn out good, so he sat very nicely for me. Would he like it back?

Yours sincerely,

Cindy Lyons

Battle Ground, Indiana

robert_the-doll2
Hundreds of letters have been sent to the Museum by visitors who beg Robert’s forgiveness and ask him to remove his curse

As for me, well, Robert and I were introduced several days ago and so far I’ve suffered no ill effects. But then, I’m not taking any chances. Like the cats, I choose to believe.

The Curse Of Robert The Doll

1,297 thoughts on “The Curse Of Robert The Doll”

1. Dear Robert,

I’m very sorry for seeing pictures of you. I meant no offence, please forgive me. I’m sorry.Really sorry!

2. Sort Robert for looking at pictures of you without your permission I was just curious and it won’t happen again please don’t curse me with bad luck

3. Dear Robert,

I’m so sorry for looking at pictures of you without your permission. I was just curious so I searched you up.

4. Dear Robert,
    I am sorry robert for looking at a picture of you with out your permission yesterday day on tiktok and today please forgive me for doing that. I don’t want to disrespect you in any way and I apologize to you. Please forgive me for looking at your pictures. I stumbled across them and I didn’t mean to look at them please forgive me
    Sincerely,
    Ivan

5. Dear robert,
    I am so sorry for looking at your pictures online and on from tiktok the other day with out your permission please forgive me I did not understand and I did not mean to disrespect you in any way please forgive me I was just curious about you please forgive me
    Sincerely,
    Ivan

6. Im sorry robert for looking at your picture I did not mean to disrespect you i am very sorry I did not know you need permission to look I want to apologize for not apologizing i didnt know and I want to say sorry for not looking at you photos with out permission

7. Dear Robert,
    I am truly very sorry for looking at a picture of you without knowing if the picture was taken with your consent. Please forgive me.
    John

8. Dear Robert:
    Sorry for looking at your picture online without your permission. I am truly sorry and I hope you will forgive me.
    Yours sincerely,
    Tristan

9. Dear Robert,
    i’m sorry for looking you up on the internet and looking at your pictures without your permission. please forgive me.

10. Dear Robert,
    You’re really a handsome boy. I hope your living life to fullest. I am sorry that I looked at your online pictures. I was just curious about your wonderful life. You are an amazing entity.

Yours sincerely,
    Gunika

11. Dear Robert,
    I am very sorry for looking at your online picture. My mother, my sister, my dog and I would like to ask for your forgiveness.

• Dear Robert,

12. Dear Robert,

I am truly very sorry if I have offended you by looking at pictures of you online taken without your consent. You did not deserve the blame that you received all of your life. I hope you find peace one day!

13. Dear Robert,
    I’m sorry for looking at pictures of you without your permission. I did not mean too.
    Sincerely,
    Tom

14. Dear Robert,

I don’t know if you’ll see this, but I want to let you know that I’m very sorry for looking at pictures of you. I did not take them and I also don’t know if the people who took them even asked for permission. I understand though, I get angry when people take pictures without permission too. I stumbled upon a picture of you before but didn’t know what it was. And just today I saw a picture of you on TikTok and everyone was apologizing for looking at you. I was confused so I searched it up. Please forgive me for doing so, I was very curious. I had no idea that you were blamed on all your life. I get that too because I’m the middle child and I have no self-worth. Of course I’ve never been blamed on for as much things you’ve been through though and I’m very sorry that you had to deal with such misery all your life. I hope one day things can get better for you and once again I’m very sorry for looking at pictures of you Robert. I will try my very best not to stumble upon any videos with your pictures. Please forgive me and don’t harm me or anyone in my life. I’m also very sorry for writing this lengthy paragraph, it’s a bad habit of mine. Anyways, I hope things can get better for you soon. Take care, Robert.

With deepest regards,
    Tylee

• Dear Robert,
      Frances

15. Dear Robert,

I’m so sorry for seeing a picture of you, Robert, for I accidentally stumbled across it. I didn’t mean any disrespect and I’m truly sorry if I disrespected you in any way. I truly hope you forgive me and don’t cause me or anyone else any harm, for I am very sorry.

Sincerely,
    Tera

16. I’m very sorry if I disrespected you Robert the Doll. I didn’t mean to make you upset by looking you up on the internet or looking at your pictures without your permission. Please don’t hurt me or anyone else because of me. I didn’t mean to make you mad. I’m so sorry.

17. Hello Robert, It’s Faraji please forgive me for thumbnails on YouTube videos or pictures on the internet I have seen without your permission I humbly apologize and will be clearing my YT search history . Yours truly, Faraji

18. i am also very sorry robert for looking without permission i ha no idea they would put a photo of u without permission to do so i again am very sorry

19. I’m so sorry Robert for looking you up and reading about your story and looking at numerous pictures. I meant no disrespect when looking at you and respect you and honor your background and story. You have mine and deserve everyone’s respect.

20. I’m very sorry if I disrespected you Robert the Doll. I didn’t mean to make you upset by looking you up on the internet without your permission. Please don’t hurt me or anyone else because of me. I didn’t mean to make you mad. I’m very sorry.

21. I’m very sorry if I disrespected you Robert the Doll. I didn’t mean to make you upset by looking you up on the internet without your permission. Please don’t hurt me or anyone else because of me. I didn’t mean to make you mad. I’m very sorry.

22. Robert you can kiss my butt because this is a bunch of nonsense. You all are idiots for apologizing to a doll. Go and pray to Jesus you will feel better!! Jesus keeps me safe from Satan!!

23. I am so sorry for looking at images and watching a show with you in it without your permission. You are an amazing doll, and I think you are incredibly important to the world. Stay safe and all the best,
    Isobel

24. I am sorry Robert for downloading your picture without your permission. It was for a joke. I deleted it not a minute later and I wish no harm upon you should you do the same by me. I ask only that I should not incur your wrath.
    Sincerely, Leo

25. Dear Robert,
    I sincerely apologise , for I stumbled across a blog post and a YouTube video thumbnail , both of which had photos of you, and I’m not sure if the photos used for the video thumbnail have been taken with your permission, so I think the best course of action is to apologise . I am aware that the photo from the blog post was taken intentionally since the writer wrote an apology and inserted said picture at the end of her blog post. Please forgive me.
    Frances

26. I’m sorry if I offended you Robert the doll by looking you up on the internet without your permission. Please don’t hurt me or anyone else of me. I really mean no disrespect to you Robert the doll. I’m really sorry.

27. Robert you are a vary nice looking doll and i am sorry for looking at this pic of you though I hope you no i did not take it I’m sorry for all the years you got blamed being a middle sister i always get blamed as well but its nothing near all the times it has happened two you i hope you no people did not mean to afend you or if they did mean two pleas tack the curs of of them if you did or if it is just a silly coincidence but something i have learned is that being kind is the whey to go so do something kind and then instead of letters of apology there will be roses 🙂
    plz and thank you

28. I am sorry if I made you upset Robert the doll, I just wanted to look up information you. I meant offense to you. I’m sorry.

29. dear robert i am so sorry for looking at pictures of you without your permission, i just wanted to learn about you because i am creating a culture for florida called “floridan culture” and making florida’s folklore popular. i respect you and your rules, please forgive me.

sincerely,
    jeremiah

30. I break this curse in the name of Jesus! I pray that you show your power over this darkness, Lord! I’ve got the victory in the name of Jesus Christ my Lord and savior! I’m taking dominion over the darkness! Tearing down the walls of the enemies camp! I’ve got the victory, by the blood of The Lamb!!!!!

31. I took you picture on TV Robert to text a friend the show was on I am sorry that I didn’t ask permission, please forgive me.

32. Dear Robert,

I’m so sorry for looking at pictures of you without your permission. I was just curious and I’m sorry for all the blame that was put on you. You have my respect.

Sincerely,