I cringe every time I see another commercial for a prescription drug. In the first place, I think we are over prescribed and over medicated in this country. I believe doctors rely far too much on medicines that mask symptoms, rather than trying to discover and treat the root cause of the malady.
Frankly, I am astounded that advertisements for prescription drugs even work. In his book, Death by Prescription, Ray D. Strand looks at these high figures and poses the question: Why do pharmaceutical companies spend billions of dollars on direct-to-consumer advertising, when consumers can only obtain prescriptions for these drugs through a doctor? Pharmaceutical companies wouldn’t spend millions of dollars on advertising if it wasn’t working. In fact it is working all too well. Strand writes that when a patient comes into a doctor’s office and requests a specific drug that he has seen advertised in the media, the doctor writes the exact prescription the patient requested more than 70 percent of the time! The result? American drug companies spend almost twice as much on marketing and promoting their products than on research and development, says a new study conducted by Toronto’s York University.
OK, I’m willing to admit that these ads are successfully influencing the consumer, but again I have to wonder why? Every one of these commercials ends with a litany of potential side effects that would make me run screaming from any doctor who wanted to prescribe it. Comedian Dave Reintz has a funny take on the whole side effect issue (once you get past the first 30 seconds of the video, where he lambastes George Bush – which is also pretty funny):
I don’t have to worry about this. I rarely do doctors and I definitely don’t do meds. I’m a proponent of the natural cures, like honey. Until World War II, honey was being used for its antibacterial properties in treating wounds. After the discovery of penicillin and other antibiotics, natural remedies lost favor to the point where medical doctors scoffed at and derided their patients who suggested such cures. But all things come full circle; many strains of bacteria have developed resistance to antibiotics, leaving few options for treatment with drugs. Instead, medical professionals are again looking to nature and traditional healing methods for answers and honey seems to offer up a wealth of health benefits. In addition to being effective against all types of bacteria, including the new ultra-resistant “superbug” that is plaguing hospitals, the hydrogen peroxide in honey also kills germs in the wound, while amino acids and vitamin C speed the growth of healthy tissue. Some unidentified compounds in honey are also thought to help reduce inflammation. The key is in finding the right kind of honey, as not all varieties exhibit the same healing effects. Honey made from the flowers of the Manuka bush, a native of New Zealand, has antibacterial properties over and above those of other honeys.
My friend Mary Jo sent me an email just this morning, listing the myriad health benefits to be found from honey and cinnamon, as reported in an article in the Canadian magazine, Weekly World News:
- HEART DISEASES: Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, apply on bread instead of jelly and jam and eat it regularly for breakfast. It reduces the cholesterol in the arteries and saves the patient from heart attack. Also those who already had an attack, if they do this process daily, are kept miles away from the next attack. Regular use also relieves loss of breath and strengthens the heart beat. In America and Canada, various nursing homes have treated patients successfully and have found that as you age, the arteries and veins lose their flexibility and get clogged; honey and cinnamon revitalizes the arteries and veins.
- ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients may take daily, morning and night, one cup of hot water with two teaspoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder. If taken regularly, even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon honey and half teaspoon of cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week, of the 200 people so treated 73 patients were totally relieved of pain and within a month, almost all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis started walking without pain.
- BLADDER INFECTIONS: Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys the germs in the bladder.
- TOOTHACHE: Make a paste of one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and five teaspoons of honey and apply on the aching tooth. This may be applied three times a day until the tooth stops aching.
- CHOLESTEROL: Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of cinnamon powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water, given to a cholesterol patient, was found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10% within 2 hours. As mentioned for arthritic patients, if taken 3 times a day, any chronic cholesterol is cured. As per information received in the said journal, pure honey taken with food daily relieves complaints of cholesterol.
- LONGEVITY: Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Take 4 teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 3 cups of water and boil to make like tea. Drink 1/4 cup, 3 to 4 times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age.
- COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder daily for 3 days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold and clear the sinuses.
- UPSET STOMACH: Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and also clears stomach ulcers from the root.
- GAS: According to the studies done in India & Japan, it is revealed that if honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.
- IMMUNE SYSTEM: Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacteria and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles to fight bacteria and viral diseases.
- INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food, relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals.
- INFLUENZA: A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural ingredient which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.
- PIMPLES: Mix three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon to make a powder paste. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it next morning with warm water. If done daily for two weeks, it removes pimples from the root.
- SKIN INFECTIONS: Apply honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts to cure eczema, ringworm and all types of skin infections.
- WEIGHT LOSS: Daily in the morning 1/2 hour before breakfast on an empty stomach and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup water. If taken regularly, it reduces the weight of even the most obese person. Also, drinking this mixture regularly does not allow the fat to accumulate in the body even though the person may eat a high calorie diet.
- CANCER: Recent research in Japan and Australia has revealed that advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully. Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder for one month 3 times a day.
- FATIGUE: Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is more helpful rather than being detrimental to the strength of the body. Senior citizens who take honey and cinnamon power in equal parts are more alert and flexible. Dr. Milton who has done research says that a half tablespoon honey taken in a glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, taken daily after brushing your teeth and in the afternoon at about 3:00 p.m. when the vitality of the body starts to decrease increases the vitality of the body within a week.
Outstanding! I’m going to try a couple of these, especially the arthritis cure.
2 thoughts on “Staying Healthy with Natural Remedies”
The vitamin B5 known as the UV protector and grapeseed oil which is a good moisturizer.
Barb, this is AMAZING! I’m going to try some of these, too!