Corregidor Island Lighthouse sits on the highest point of the island of Corregidor in the Philippines. The original lighthouse, completed in 1853, guided ships through the narrow Manila Bay passageway to the port of Manila. The lighthouse functioned continuously until World War Two. By that time, Corregidor Island had become a U.S. military installation. By order of the American Navy, its light was extinguished when Japanese invaded the Philippines on December 8, 1941. The light was shown only intermittently from that point, using a secret schedule set by the Navy. By this means, U.S. submarines continued to safely deliver supplies and ammunition to the troops on the island until Japanese bombing in the spring of 1942 finally destroyed the lighthouse.
Corregidor Island Lighthouse was rebuilt in a slightly different design the 1950’s, using stones from the original structure. In the 1990’s, the Japanese government provided funds to replace the old lantern with a solar-power light. Today the lower level of the lighthouse, which originally contained the lightkeeper’s quarters, holds a souvenir shop. The tower is open and visitors are welcome to climb to the top for a sweeping view of the island.