Click on above photo to view it in large format: The Berlin Konzerthaus (right) and German Cathedral (left) dominate the Gendarmenmarkt, a popular public square near the city’s historic center. Not shown in this photo is the French Cathedral, which stands on the right hand of the Konzerthaus and is a near-twin to the German Cathedral. The square is named for the Gens d’Armes mounted regiment, which had their stables at the square until 1773, however its designer is said to have modeled it after Piazza Popolo in Rome, with its famous twinned cathedrals.
Click on above photo to view it in large format: The Neoclassical Neue Wache, (New Guardhouse) was originally built as a guardhouse for the troops of the crown prince of Prussia. Following the reunification of Germany, at the suggestion of Chancellor Helmut Kohl, the building was rededicated as the “Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Victims of War and Dictatorship.” An enlarged version of Käthe Kollwitz’s sculpture Mother with her Dead Son was placed under the oculus, where it is exposed to the rain, snow, and cold, symbolizing the suffering of the victims of war and tyranny during World War II.
Click on above photo to view it in large format: Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin, badly damaged during a bombing raid in 1943, has been left unrepaired as a reminder of the war. The lower level, which also shows evidence of the bombing damage, has been converted into a memorial hall. The building to its right, a modern bell tower constructed in 1963, is currently undergoing repairs.